Pellerin headed to OOB; Janelle to be interim town manager

Reporter Staff

Assistant Town Manager Jen Janelle (l) has been appointed interim town manager, to fill the space being vacated by Tim Pellerin (r), who is resigning as of May 29.

Outgoing Town Manager Tim Pellerin has accepted the town manager position in Old Orchard Beach, starting June 1. Assistant Town Manager Jennifer Janelle will be sworn in as interim town manager next week, replacing Pellerin, who announced his resignation in April, effective May 29.

Pellerin will be replacing Diana Asanza, who is retiring after five years as town manager in Old Orchard Beach.

A casual farewell party for Pellerin is planned from 2 to 3 p.m. Thursday, May 28, at the Community Center on Norton Street.

“I am excited to join the great team of staff in Old Orchard Beach and I’m eager to serve the citizens and community of Old Orchard,” Pellerin said in a statement put out by John Guilfoil Public Relations of Groveland, Mass. “I spent many years as a teenager enjoying and visiting Old Orchard Beach and it truly feels welcoming to come back to this wonderful community.”

The Town Council was slated to appoint Janelle as interim town manager last week, but council Chair John James noted during the May 12 meeting that a contract needed to be put in place before that could happen.

“Our plan is to offer interim town manager to our Assistant Town Manager Jen Janelle, but we need to get the contract locked in prior to that,” James said.

Reached by phone, Janelle confirmed she will be sworn in at the May 26 council meeting and will assume the new role May 30.

Janelle started in October 2018 as town finance director and was appointed assistant town manager in June 2020 by former town manager Perry Ellsworth. She served as interim town manager from July 1, 2021 until mid-December 2021, when Pellerin was hired as town manager.

In other business at the May 12 meeting, the council agreed to hold off discussing its policies and procedures for internal communications until later this month.

In the wake of a May 5 workshop devoted to the subject, James suggested, “We all have some homework to do.”

Council Vice Chair Mallory Cook, who was not at last week’s meeting, will be present May 26. Cook had presented a memo in March raising concerns about council members conducting business via email that should be done in public.

Councilor Joel Martin volunteered to come up with a draft set of procedures for the council to work with. 

In a light moment, James referred to the council receiving an email commending members for working together at the workshop, and quipped, “I was called ‘patient.’ Please note that in the public record. I was called ‘patient’.”

In other business, James announced the council is still seeking nominees for the Spirit of America Award for 2025. The award, given for the prior year, recognizes individuals, organizations and community groups whose volunteer efforts make a meaningful difference in the community.

The deadline for nominations is June 30 and the criteria can be found here: https://www.southberwickmaine.org/news_detail_T5_R441.php

FREE weekly news updates from South Berwick Reporter – sign up here.